Thursday, April 20, 2006

Sew Cheesy



When my grandparents passed away a few years ago, one of the things I inherited was my grandma's sewing machine. I know very little about sewing machines. I do know it works, but probably needs serviced. It is a Universal model CB-1, probably purchased in the early 1960's. From the research I've done, it doesn't seem to be worth much, if anything. I was hoping to sell it and buy a new one. As you can see in the photo, it currently serves as storage, not exactly what I had in mind. And it doesn't keep the beer cold.

I checked with my mom and my sister to be sure no one would have a heart attack if I got rid of it. I don't have a sentimental attachment to it, as I have no memories at all of my grandmother using the machine, and my mom drolly informed me, "That's because she didn't." I thought that for what it would cost to have it serviced, I would have a nice down payment on a newer, simpler to use, easier to maintain machine.

Today I went to four different stores to look at new sewing machines. I came away with the questionable knowledge that Singers are crap and I probably want a Viking or Bernina. The problem is they are SO much more expensive and I have no idea if they are worth the price tag. I would like to take some classes and learn how to make a few things, possibly even make things to sell in the future. Both the Viking and Bernina come with classes to get you started. My sewing expertise petered out somewhere around eighth grade. But I read lots of crafty blogs and see so many things that I would love to try my hand at.

This is quickly turning into one of the many things I need to start saving for. If anyone has sewing machine recommendations, please comment!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.babylock.com/

This is the kind mom and Missy have. It is great. You can program in words, and it will embroider it on things.
They probably have less expensive models. (Although I think moms was a few $$k)

Anonymous said...

I just looked up "baby lock" on ebay, there is one there for $5700!! That's a lot of crafty-stuff-selling!