Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Creative Endeavors

Inspired by Alicia, I planned to put up some white lights in my kitchen a couple of months ago. I thought since it was the holiday season, I would have no problem finding lights. I was wrong, so very, very wrong. After digging through every end-of-the-season lighting display an idea finally struck: the wedding department at Michael's. And lo and behold, they came through. They were $5 a box, but they were there.


After a false start, I managed to hang two strands of lights without short circuiting anything. They definitely brighten things up on dreary days, but not so much that it gives you a squinty-eyed headache (i.e. a headache from squinting your eyes too much).


I've also been working on one final freezer paper shirt for Arwyn. This did not come out as I had envisioned it, but most things don't.


I think I need some freezer paper tips. How do you super crafty folks keep the paint from seeping under the stencil? And how do you get such intricate details?? My shirts just don't ever seem to come out as well as I think they should. Maybe it's all just part of the creative process. Maybe it looks more authentic that way. Or maybe it looks like crap and I just want to think it looks authentic! There are some people out there making some amazing things and I want to know how it is done. I thought if I made enough of these it would get easier and they would look better, but I am getting impatient. If you ever buy a cheap boy's t-shirt from Wal-Mart for this project, don't freak out if the iron discolors the fabric. It seems to go back to normal after a few minutes.


Did anyone else watch Idol tonight? I thought the majority of the boys were a tad on the sucky side. I was a little let down. Perhaps I get a bit too excited about complete strangers singing on tv ...

No comments: