Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Butterfly Shirt

I have to be the last person on earth to try this and now I am addicted. This is the infamous freezer paper stencil. There is a tutorial on craftster but I have some sort of craftster mental block.

Here's a quick how-to. First you print or draw your design on a piece of freezer paper. (I found the freezer paper at our local grocery store by the plastic wrap and aluminum foil.) Then you cut out the design with an exacto knife. Next you iron the stencil onto your item of clothing, plasticy side down. I also ironed a piece onto the back side to prevent paint seepage.

I used Jacquard fabric paint (Lumiere Light Body Metallic in Pearl White to be exact - it's a bit more silver than white) and applied it with a make-up sponge. Let the paint dry for 24 hours then heat-set by ironing both sides for 30 seconds.


Et voila!


Here's Arwyn posing with the finished product. As you can see, it is already nicely broken in with some stains. I had to take several photos to get this one.


Here's what she did when I said "Look up." Sigh.


I bought four long sleeved t-shirts for her at a yardsale this weekend. One has already gone under the knife and the rest are waiting for a Michael's coupon in the paper so I can get 40% off my paint, cause I'm cheap like that and getting a bit weary of the silvery-white.

You can blame blogger for the lack of posting of late. This was my fourth attempt in two days. Grrrr.

No comments: